Friday, September 17, 2010

Beach Walks

Now we're based in Hawera we have been visiting some beaches within a few km from us on a daily basis. There's Denby Rd, Ohawe Beach, Kopaukotunui, Opunake. They are all black sand beaches around this area. Black and sparkly! I have collected a bit and hope to collect some sand from both sides of the island. The small rocks here look like speckled eggs, and there is some really round rocks, like half an an orange, round. I only have 3 beach glass and there aren't really shells here, not like in the Bahamas. There are only some mussel shells that the seagulls have used and discarded.
There are some squishy blue/purple tubular things with long tentacles lying on the beach. They apparently are called bluebottles related to the jellyfish.











There are some incredible cliffs! We came across a shark fisher and he was standing off to the side of his rods about 10 metres away and close to the water. I asked him why doesn't he get closer to his rods? He nudged his chin up towards the cliffs. He said there is a real threat that they can break off and slide down quietly and bury him to death. I now walk with a wary eye casted upwards.

1 comment:

  1. I think the scenery to be amazing in all these pics. Sometimes, I'll see vestiges and glimpses of Lake Winnipeg/Manitoba Escarpment in some of them.
    But mainly, I see "a world away". I mean...black sand and "killer" cliffs? C'mon!

    ReplyDelete